Saturday, February 27, 2010

EARTHQUAKE!

This morning, around 5:30 am, a 6.9 earthquake rocked and rolled us awake! It was CRAZY!! Praise the Lord that everything is in tact and we are all doing well. It was an interesting thing to wake you up. With the latest earthquake in Haiti, there isn't much good that runs through your mind as the earth is shaking for what feels like forever!! This is the first natural "disaster" that I've experienced with children. It brought a whole new light to things. This is the first time that I wasn't thinking about myself and what I should do. Instead we jumped up and ran to the kids room...Kevin checked on the older 3 and I ran and picked up Titus. They were all sleeping soundly and didn't notice a thing. It's not often that I get that heart-stopping feeling...but it took awhile for me to calm down and think clearly. Kevin was quick to shout out to God for His protection upon on our family. It's so cool to realize that the love for and desire to protect my children pales in comparison to God's love and desire to take care of us. Praise the Lord that we serve a MIGHTY God, who is in control of the entire universe and loves us enough to extend His Mercy and Grace even when we don't deserve it!! Now, if I (through the Lord working in me) can only be a taste of that for my children so that they may come to know HIM!!

Now it's time to freshen up those "what to do in an earthquake" skills. Last night was the first time that being on the bottom floor of a two story building didn't sound all that appealing. And concrete houses...yes, they are great during typhoons, but how earthquake friendly can they really be?? Good thing that the Lord has numbered our days and I can rest in His hands and perfect providence for my life...just like my sleeping kids in the middle of earth shaking, heart stopping event. It's always good to be reminded Who Sits on the Throne and Who Holds the Earth in His Hands...I'm thankful that He allows me to be His child!

1 comment:

Aunt Peggy said...

So glad to hear that you are all okay. We have heard about the earthquake in Chile today, but nothing about yours. Thanks for all the blog updates - they kept me chuckling. Man, I do not miss those blow out diapers! They usually stink real bad too.